Lab Session: Weather Data
Jump to navigation Jump to search
In this lab you will pull in some weather data from http://openweathermap.org/API.
- Open LabWeather.nsx.
- Add a click event to btnLoad on frmMain
- OpenWeatherMaps requires an API key. Use appid = "2de143494c0b295cca9337e1e96b00e0"
- Have the click event use the value from txtCity to query OpenWeatherMap's API:
- Keep in mind that you should URL encode any user entered parameters, like city, using encodeURIComponent
- Make sure you're using JSONP to make this request.
- Upon receiving the response, you should parse the response into the various Value labels on frmMain. The format of the response is described here: http://bugs.openweathermap.org/projects/api/wiki/Weather_Data
- The weather API has a lot of functionality that we aren't using. Create new forms and fields to return and display either forecast data, historical data, or both.
- The city field requires a fairly exact name. If you'd like to allow for mistakes and abbreviations, you can integrate the city search api. This returns a list of possible city matches. One way to use this is to present a list that the user can choose from in a new form.